KitD
Hi everyone, thank you in advance for your replies. So I'm graduating Uni in about 5ish months and am actively looking for a job. I'm pretty sure I want to do technical sales (undergrad degree is EE) and a lot of the entry level sales positions are 'Sales Development' roles. I'm curious, what exactly is this? It sounds like it will be great experience but I also don't want to be just cold calling people. 
Quote 0 0

the_wolf_of_tech_sales
Hey KitD. I think it is smart of you to "shop around" and do your research before committing to a role. Bravo! I am not personally a sales Dev rep but I know that cold calling is part of the job. However, from what I hear it isn't all bad. It also depends on the size of the org that you go work for. If it's extremely small than they will most likely be cold calls. If it's a larger org you will likely be calling on "warm" leads.
Quote 0 0
salesdev_RJ
Hey kit. Yeah I would say cold calling is definitely a part of the role, but you also learn skills that are necessary to be successful in sales. For me, it is sort of a necessary evil to get to the sales engineer role. Just don't get stuck in sales dev if that's not where you want to be
Quote 0 0
KitD
Thanks for your replies. Do you know if it is possible to skip the sales development job and just go straight into sales? Is that possible without experience or do I basically have to go into sales development?
Quote 0 0
salesdev_RJ
Yeah it's totally possible. It honestly just depends which company, industry, and salary you are expecting. Not every company is structured the same way with sales development reps
Quote 0 0
KitD
Thanks RJ
Quote 0 0
Mike Cartwright
Hey, KitD! Congratulations, since you should be a graduate by now (sorry for replying too late). It is possible to go past the sales development and right into sales since not all companies are structured the same. Also, if ever you end up going for sales development first, expect that there is cold calling involved. It depends on the company that you'd work for as to how much cold calling you'd do. I personally like my experience with sales development since it served as a training ground for me prior to moving up to sales, I hope that you do too. Wish you all the best!
Quote 0 0