HDalt
I'm curious to hear some opinions. My company has an SDR (sales development rep) role that promotes to a full blown account manager/SE role. The job duties are quite different: The SDR qualifies and prospects while the SE manages accounts and opportunities. Typically, people spend about 1-2 years as an SDR. 

I may have an opportunity to transition to an account manager role before then, and I was curious if I would be hurting myself because I won't spend as much time learning qualfying and prospecting skills, or if it would be a smart move sooner to get into opportunity management sooner? I feel like moving up the ladder faster is better, but would be open to hearing other opinions. 
Quote 0 0

salesdev_RJ
I think the answer to this is a pretty personal decision and depends on your current skill level and comfort in your current role. For some people, it may take them much longer to be ready to manage opportunities and a pipeline whereas others may possess the skills more naturally. The fact that you have an opportunity to transition now means that you are probably seen as a top performer in your current role. If that is the case and you feel comfortable in your current role, then my opinion is that getting more complex experience as an opportunity manager would be the right move. It sounds like you have an opportunity to grow at a more accelerated rate with this new role. 
Quote 0 0
DenverSE
Go for it HDalt! Push yourself and continue to learn and grow! [smile]
Quote 0 0
2mogo
just take the account manager role if they are offering it to you. you will have to do prospecting and qualification in that role anyway...
Quote 0 0
Mike Cartwright
I say go for it! You don't have to conform to the norm of staying as an SDR longer just like the others. If I'm in your shoes, I'd look at this as a challenge for me to learn and grow. And besides, if the position is open now, why wait for another time to take the opportunity if it's already knocking at your door. Also, this being available to you means that you are performing well and should be ready to take on this new role. Last, just think of this as a good sign that you're headed to the right direction career wise.
Quote 0 0
James Anderson
Changes are good when it pushed you towards progress. Go beyond the position of SDR, recognize your skills and uplift the career. Have a great fortune ahead.
Quote 0 0