accelsales
I'm curious how others utilize the data in linkedin to develop prospecting strategies/grow business. More specifically, what do you look at in someone's profile that is helpful when engaging them for a sales interaction?

I know some things are obvious, but I'm interested in seeing how others interpret the data in a profile.

Thanks,
-accel [comp]
- Always remember you’re unique, just like everyone else. -
Quote 0 0

salesdev_RJ
Some ideas...

TitlePeople love to hear their title. Referencing their title can score you points, it will make the customer feel important.

Skills - Similar to their title, if you reference and talk about their skills and how they overlap with the product you are trying to sell them, it will help you relate and build good rapport. 

Description If someone has taken the time to write a description on their LinkedIn page, it means they are proud of that information and want others to know about it. See how you can leverage it in your dialogue, including using key phrases verbatim from their profile description. They will feel that you are familiar with them and feel more comfortable talking with you. 

Experience  Tailor your conversation to their experience. For example, if they have 20 years of software dev experience it probably doesn't make sense to explain the basics to them.

Quote 0 0
techsoft
Apart from their individual profile, you can also go to their company's page and look at the recent news and updates that you can leverage while speaking with them. If it is a big enough account, click to follow the company and their updates will appear in your news feed. 
"Life would be so much easier if we only had the source code."
Quote 0 0
Mike Cartwright
I agree with salesdev and techsoft. I would just like to add that I also check the LinkedIn connections that the prospects have, our shared connections, and our common interests. That three additional things are a great way to analyze if I will take it to the next step and engage with them.
Quote 1 0
techsoft
Great point, Mike Cartwright [thumb]. Sometimes I can use their LinkedIn connections to reference other people I have worked with in their company. Or sometimes I can gain insight for myself on who their decision makers might be or how their group is structured (from their connections).
"Life would be so much easier if we only had the source code."
Quote 1 0

Add a Website Forum to your website.