NorCalTech
As a sales person, what are your favorite questions to ask your clients to determine if they can afford your product?
"Do. Or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda, 
Jedi Master.
Quote 0 0

Norcal707

Great question. Usually, if I schedule a meeting with a customer and they are asking me questions as if they are interested I can get a pretty good feel if they will buy from me. Then it's a matter of if my price is in line with what they expect.

Once I build rapport and get my customer all excited on the idea, the value, and the benefits I usually ask- and this is my FAVORITE question by the way.

I say: Alright Gary how do you feel about everything so far? 9 times out of 10 it will be positive unless you totally drop the ball. Or they will elaborate on what they need instead of what you're delivering.

Then I'll ask - And what's your budget Gary? And I honestly tell them what they can expect to pay. Sometimes it's too much but it's better for me this way rather than working on a proposal for them that's way out of their budget to begin with.

What kind of questions do you use?  What works for you?  Also, what part of NorCal are you from?   

Quote 0 0
Alpha
Hello from Los Angeles,

One trick I like to use goes like this...
Me: "A system like the one you've described will typically sell for $50k-$75k."

Customer: "$75k?! We were only hoping to spend between $10k-$15k."

Boom. Budget acquired [cool]. This method, as you can probably guess, has it's time and place for use. But it is effective.
-No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message, however, a significant number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.-
Quote 0 0
Norcal707
I use that too but they don't always tell you what they are hoping to spend. 
Quote 0 0
NorCalTech
Hey Norcal707, I'm in the San Jose area what about you?? Thanks for the suggestions so far guys, I appreciate it. Typically, I go with
"what do you expect to pay for a system like this?" or "how much have you typically spent on systems like this in the past?"

but that still doesn't really help identify if they have money RIGHT NOW to spend on a system. If that makes sense. 
"Do. Or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda, 
Jedi Master.
Quote 0 0
Norcal707
I'm in Santa Rosa but do a lot of business in SF and the Silicon Valley. 

Another thing I like to ask is - how soon are you looking to get this started? Then they usually elaborate on how they need it ASAP or they need to send it to their boss or whatever it is. Then I'll say something like yeah it would be great to get this rolling in the next couple months and sometimes they'll say no that's too long we need it now!

When do I ask them that I can get a good feel of urgency from the customer you know?
Quote 0 0
Mike Cartwright
We usually offer our customers a sample price point, usually the highest.

For example, "For a software that almost has the same features as this, it'll cost you around 3,000-5,000 USD annually". If they agree, they can afford the product/service. If they don't agree, they just tell what they can afford. 
Quote 0 0
James Anderson
If they really want to buy your product or ready to pay the cost, they enquire for the product in a way to grab it but not to know more about it. And, you can't ask them whether they have money to buy.
Quote 0 0