Norcal707
How do you guys typically build sales urgency to get prospects to quickly move forward?

I'm curious to see what other strategies and tactics you use to get the ball rolling. Of course all situations and clients are different but what do you find works best for you?
Quote 0 0

Regius
As you mentioned, it depends on the situation and the client, but one thing that works well for me is to restate the opportunity cost of NOT moving forward.

For example, if your client is bleeding $1000/day because their current solution is not working well you can leverage that to explain why moving forward is actually the most logical (or only logical) option. 

Another strategy is to bring up the competition and leverage the urgency there, ie. if they are in a highly competitive industry and need to stay ahead. 

These are just some thoughts, but if you want to provide more context I may be able to apply a specific strategy for your client. 
Quote 0 0
Norcal707
Thank you.  As in more specific let me give you an example.  I am able to get meetings left and right and the customer most of the time is excited about what I bring to the table.  However once I give them the final proposal with pricing that's when they hit me with different excuses not to more forward.  Most of the time - too expensive or not ready right now.

I'm still fairly new to sales only 3 months in so far but I closed 100k this month which I think is pretty good.  Looking back at my spreadsheet I've noticed a long list of proposals I've sent out but only a handful that have accepted.

I understand every situation is different but I'd really like to increase my percentage of closing to proposal ratio.  Some situatiosn I'll have the clients tell me they need this right away and there ready to go right now.  But once I send off the final proposal their minds change. Even after prior to sending were on the same page on price.

I always ask clients if they have a budget that way I'm not blowing them out of the water on pricing you know?

So it's confusing to me that I give them what they want for the price they want but once they have it they change their mind.  So I'm trying to figure out how to build more sales urgency to close more deals.
Quote 0 0
Regius
I would say that this is a common problem sales people face in general. Customer's always need things RIGHT NOW but in reality, they don't. I've found that half the time they don't even know what they need! One technique I've been coached on is to withhold the information that they want until you get all the information that you want. For example, if someone wants to know the price of a system, don't give that to them until the very end (ball park is fine to ensure you are on the same planet). This is the time to ask them why they want this system (are they just curious, is their boss telling them to look, will they be let go if they fail). What are the stakes. How serious are they.

Once you give them the information they want, they have no reason to continue talking to you. It's easier said than done, to be sure.
Quote 0 0
Norcal707
Thanks for the reply.  That makes perfect sense.  I'm sure as I continue I'll find out what works and what doesn't.
Quote 0 0
the_wolf_of_tech_sales
Hey Norcal, another strategy (and I preface this with a "use appropriately" tag) is to instill fear in your client - sounds intense on the surface. What I mean is if you can make some comments, similar to what RSSE recommended about 'what are the stakes', you can build up some potential anxiety in them if they don't buy. I think I remember that you said you sell security products in another thread. "What if we don't install this security camera system and a child gets abducted...?" - I'd buy the damn cameras! I'm exaggerating a bit to prove my point. 
Quote 0 0
Norcal707
Interesting. I actually really like that strategy
Quote 0 0
the_wolf_of_tech_sales
nice! I will add that the "fear" you shed light on should all be logical valid reasons (or you may actually hurt yourself). You want them to see you as a thoughtful asset not a pushy sales guy. feel me?
Quote 0 0
Norcal707
Yes I totally understand and I can think of some applications where that would play to my advantage.  That opens my mind to a whole different angle thanks bro!
Quote 0 0
MikeK
Interesting idea wolf. I'll have to give that a go.
Quote 0 0
Mike Cartwright
Great question, Norcal!

I create a sense of sales urgency by focusing on two things:
  1. Prospects' pain points
  2. Cost of delay

I always make sure that the focus is on them (or their company/business). I show them how I will address their pain points. I provide them data that are specific to their situation. I show them how I can help resolve their issues immediately by highlighting their pain points.

And I always (always!) bring up the projected cost of delay. I explain to them how much they are losing for every week or month that they are not using my product.
Quote 0 0