Regius
Hi guys, our team dynamic is pretty lacking at work and I am hoping to hear ideas on ways to improve this. We all report to the same manager, but other than that, we have no real ties to each other or reasons to interact (besides the obvious - peer development, relationships, etc.). Our metrics are not tied (we are all on individual quotas), and we each service a different part of the country/territory. The only time we really interact is during the weekly team meetings for an hour or so. 

What sort of internal competitions, team building events, recognition, initiatives do you guys have at work to build comradeship in your team? Thanks in advance!
Quote 0 0

Casper
What exactly do you do? You mentioned service calls.. do you track calls? what about inter/external surveys? Possibly you could team up and have competitions for which team has the best service calls for the month. Or the best surveys. I think doing something where you join forces with someone else will foster more of a team dynamic. It can be something as silly as which team can build a snowman the fastest and award the parts of the snowman different aspects of your job. This way its the team competing to win. Each meeting you see the snowman (yes it's silly- but who wants a sad snowman) lol. Just an idea.  
Quote 1 0
Regius
Hey Casper, thanks for your ideas! I am in Inside Sales. So we have our own territories around the country that we service virtually. I guess we could hold a competition for tracking outbound prospecting calls during the week, and the winner gets recognized. Or, like you said, a team building event to build something around the office. Maybe a board that tracks a certain metric that we add to over time so we can see the progress. I think that would be good! 
Quote 0 0
DenverSE
I agree, you need some sort of internal competition to bond together and work to achieve some goal. Maybe you can track how closely you are, collectively, to reaching quota as the quarter goes on?
Quote 1 0
SFSales
What if you guys did a peer review survey to surface how much you really know about each other's worth ethics and styles? Having everyone complete a peer review will naturally build comradery and a bit of peer pressure to want to get to know each other. You could ask positive questions like, "what are this person's top strengths?" etc. so it is not a negative experience.  
90% of statistics are made up on the spot. 
Quote 1 0
Regius
That's a good idea SFSales. Thank you for the ideas everyone.
Quote 0 0
sambill
Hi there,
We also have similar distributed structure, with every one working in their own silos. So we have to make the most of what ever time available during weekly / monthly team meetings. Apart from that we also use company wide social media services like Yammar (From microsoft) & SLACK to keep every one engaged.

Our managers / leaders are very deliberate in keeping our morale high using one on one's.

Thanks

Syed.
Quote 0 0
Regius
Hey Syed. Do you guys do any team building activities during your team meetings or what do you do during this time to build teamwork? I'll have to check out Yammar and Slack!
Quote 0 0
environ
We encourage our team members to share their accomplishments. There is a board in the office to post the accomplishments and we announce them at our team meetings. It helps others realize the good and encouraging work others are doing. 
Quote 0 0
Regius
A few things that were implemented to increase teamwork:
  • A team mission was established to define what we were trying to accomplish.
  • Awards and recognition have become a regular bi-weekly announcement for peers doing well. 
  • Activity/call counts and metrics were shared to induce competition within the team. 
Quote 0 0
entrepretech
Nice, Regius. These are good. Thanks for sharing.
Quote 0 0
Mike Cartwright
I like Syed's suggestion, we're pretty much busy bees at the office as well. Having not much time to drop by a colleague's cubicle/workstation, we all engage on ice-breakers via Slack. We have a dedicated #random channel where anything goes. From meme wars, to sharing funny (sometimes epic) stories that happened to us over the weekend, it's a great way for the team to interact with each other.

*Note: We do have a "tacobot" on Slack where you can offer your teammates tacos as a digital "pat on the back". The one with the most tacos by the end of the work week wins a prize.
Quote 0 0