John.Marks
What is the ideal number of follow ups that should be done for a lead if you get no response? We get our leads from marketing and are trying to determine how many times to follow up before closing the lead out? 

2 times? 5 times? 10 times? 
Quote 0 0

techwhale
Hey John, ideally follow up until you get that "no" (they say it often takes 6-8 reach outs to connect)...also keep in mind you will often get a 'no' from one person in the organization and you will hear 'yes' from another person on the same team.  Don't give up after the first lead in the company, triangulate the message to make sure you are getting the straight goods.

Keep in mind often the 'no' means 'not now' so it's also a good idea to have a nurture campaign to keep these leads in the loop over time.  Perhaps you will come out with a feature down the road that piques their interest.  Or perhaps something changes on their end.

Happy hunting!

http://www.techwhale.com
get big in tech.
Quote 0 0
John.Marks
Thanks for the reply Dave. So let's imagine I get a 'no' on a lead and want to ensure I maintain a positive relationship with that potential customer. How long would you recommend before reaching back out to the same prospect? What are your thoughts?
Quote 0 0
techwhale
Hey John.Marks,

It really depends on your business and it really depends on why you got the 'no'.  So I can offer some help, what reasons for 'no' are you recieving most often?

get big in tech.
Quote 0 0
John.Marks
Hey Dave, we get 'no' for a variety of reasons but the one we struggle the most responding to is: "no thanks, we are happy with our current solution." 

Is it too pushy to try to ask follow up questions attempting to get the customer to derail their own current solution and why it may not be sufficient? How would you answer that type of response from a customer? 

Thanks a ton for your help [biggrin]
Quote 0 0
techwhale
100% you should try and dig into this with probing questions when you get that response.

You need to know the differentiators of your solution over the other alternatives...and if you have none, then you are in a tough position!  These differentiators will put you in a position to rebut this response.  The questions you use should push the prospect down the path of discovering why you are different. For example:

If you are getting this reponse a lot, however, I would say it might go back to your initial pitch, because I get the impression they just think you are like all of the rest of the guys out there.  Like if I am selling...I don't know...web conference tools...and I say: "Hi Joe, this is Dave from ABC and we have a web conference tool" he's going to say - "OK pal, I have a web conference tool already, get lost".  However, if you start your call with something like: "Hi Joe, this is Dave ABC. The reason why customers choose us is that they are tired of cumbersome, expensive web conference tools that often don't function well because of corporate security firewalls" then perhaps one of those things hits home with Joe and then you can explain why you are different.

Hope this helps...

Dave

get big in tech.
Quote 0 0
John.Marks
I see what you are saying. There isn't a whole lot of value in your first statement. Thanks for your help techwhale, I'm looking forward to employing these strategies. 

-John M
Quote 0 0
rg

Putting some numbers here. About 6 to 8 emails/calls. I got great success past the 5 or 6 email so I know that this works. Ideally, you need to never give up till you connect with them, or they say no. And when they say no, classify them:

- Already have provider: Put them in a list to call them and ask for questions. This is a very good list to try your abilities and grow a relationship.

- Not ready to buy: Put them in a list to nurture from time to time. 

Quote 0 0
en-cycle
Interesting discussion here. The number of follow ups has always interested me. It seems like more touches are better from what you guys are saying! Additionally, here is advising for a touch every 3-4 days over the course of 3-4 weeks (http://www.salesforlife.com/blog/using-a-multi-touch-strategy-is-necessary-to-engage-buyers). That's anywhere from 5-9 follow ups. 
Quote 0 0
Mike Cartwright
Very informative thread! My sales experience taught me to not give up easily. So I usually do 6-10 follow-ups.

I also do not practice calling to touch base with my prospect. I show concern immediately by referencing something that we've talked about in the past calls or emails.

It also helps that our company currently uses Tenfold as our CTI provider. It has a note-taking feature and it automatically logs all our calls that are great for our team's sales follow-ups.

But if a prospect asks me to stop reaching out (at how many follow-ups it might take), I honor it. Though I always try my best to get a feedback.
Quote 0 0
mercuriindia
It purely depends upon the type of the lead whether cold or warm. Depending on the interactions you had and the relationship you share with them.To know more please visit, https://goo.gl/gdrp4n
Quote 0 0
James Anderson
Make sure your application reach successfully to your leads. Sometime, they skip reading your forms while in hurry. For me, 2 is the idea attempt, more than that might sounds annoying.
Quote 0 0