technewb
Hi tech sales community,

I'm in my senior year at university studying CS. I like coding but I also like business and interfacing with people (which seems to be a rare combination). I took a class in technical sales & marketing and really enjoyed it. I've been browsing https://www.glassdoor.com/ , but what does a Sales Engineer typically make?

I apologize if this is an intrusive question, I am just trying to weigh my options and evaluate a long term career plan. Thanks for your input. 
Quote 0 0

the_wolf_of_tech_sales
I have friends that make $70k/year and friends that make upwards of $150k/year. It depends which specific industry and company you go to sell for, as well as geographic location. 

The Street put out a report of the Top 10 Tech Companies With The Highest Paying Sales Job for reference.

1. SAP SE Total Pay = $235k
  2. Cisco Systems Total Pay = $211k
  3. CA Inc Total Pay = $210k
  4. EMC Corp. Total Pay = $200k
  5. Symantec Total Pay = $197.5k
  6. Microsoft Total Pay = $191k
  7. Salesforce.com Total Pay = $173.5k
  8. Adobe Total Pay = $162.5k
  9. Avaya Total Pay = $160k
  10. IBM Total Pay = $150k
Like I said, I also have friends who make a lot less than this as an SE. I would screen Glassdoor for whichever company you are specifically curious about.
Quote 1 0
jamiesco
I would say you can expect an entry level salary to be $70k-$90k OTE (on target earnings) as a sales engineer. As the_wolf_of_tech_sales noted, you can do well from there and make upwards of $150k after a handful of years of experience.  

Overall, my opinion is that sales experience will be valuable no matter what you end up doing. Learning how businesses operate, interfacing with customers, and learning how to sell something can help in many aspects of life. Even if you end up wanting to be a coder after a few years in sales. 

Best of luck! [smile]

-Jamie
Quote 1 0
timcall
Just to add a comment to this discussion.  I have found that a general model for salary plus variable/bonus/commission to be 80/20.  This varies from company to company but this might be a good ballpark estimate of the split.  I have experienced more aggressive variable plans also which were more in the 70/30 range.
Quote 3 0
crushing_quota
To add to timcall, we have a 70/30 split here (ironically was just changed. previously we had 80/20).
Quote 0 0
Regius
SEs at my company make $58k base, $70k on target earnings as the starting salary. I know we are pretty low compared to industry standard though.
Quote 0 0
sidman1324
im in the UK and it can vary from around 40K upwards. this is my second job out of uni and i am above 50K per year. it depends on the 
the_wolf_of_tech_sales wrote:
I have friends that make $70k/year and friends that make upwards of $150k/year. It depends which specific industry and company you go to sell for, as well as geographic location. 

The Street put out a report of the Top 10 Tech Companies With The Highest Paying Sales Job for reference.

1. SAP SE Total Pay = $235k
  2. Cisco Systems Total Pay = $211k
  3. CA Inc Total Pay = $210k
  4. EMC Corp. Total Pay = $200k
  5. Symantec Total Pay = $197.5k
  6. Microsoft Total Pay = $191k
  7. Salesforce.com Total Pay = $173.5k
  8. Adobe Total Pay = $162.5k
  9. Avaya Total Pay = $160k
  10. IBM Total Pay = $150k
Like I said, I also have friends who make a lot less than this as an SE. I would screen Glassdoor for whichever company you are specifically curious about.

@ the wolf  but that is for sales, not being a sales engineer right? 
Quote 0 0
sidman1324
crushing_quota wrote:
To add to timcall, we have a 70/30 split here (ironically was just changed. previously we had 80/20).

my company does 80/20 
Quote 0 0
James Anderson
Who are eligible for sals engineering? I mean its compulsory to do engineering or students from any background can shape-up their career in it.
Quote 0 0