Norcal707
I've decided to only dedicate myself to large accounts recently.  I wanted to see how others feel about this strategy or if anyone has gone this route.  Basically, these small accounts have been too much of a headache with barely any motivation/ commission on my end. 

I've had success with large accounts and that's been my focus. Go big or go home.  Or in my case go big and get paid or stay small spend the same amount of time if not more and make crums.

I know eventually the small accounts will add up but I'm closing the deal and then project managing just to give you a better idea. Any thoughts, input, or ideas?  I'd love to hear

Thanks guys!
Quote 0 0

entrepretech
It's a tough balance for sure. However, I've seen companies typically separate those responsibilities for the exact reason you mentioned - the return on your invested time. Smaller accounts are typically a lot of work, ask a lot of questions, require a lot of follow up, and purchase smaller systems. However, depending on your business, there may be some "golden eggs" ie. huge growth opportunities hidden in these small accounts. Typically pretty rare but can happen.

Meanwhile the larger accounts typically have deeper pockets, resources to implement the solution themselves, purchase larger systems, and/or have a need for recurring purchases. 

In my opinion, you are right-on to want to spend more time with the big accounts that are bringing in a majority of your revenue. Just do your best to ensure your customer experience doesn't falter, maybe even hire someone to specifically work with the small accounts so you can focus on the big ones. 
Quote 0 0
Norcal707
Thanks for the reply entrepretech. When I first started out I was grabbing onto anything I could close but now I've come to a point where I've established myself enough to where I can focus primarily on large accounts. 

I told my manager the other day flat out that I wouldn't take on any small jobs anymore. Could that bite me in the end?  Possibly, but I'm confident I can close large accounts and continue to do that.

My role is interesting because I'm a sales manager/ project manager/ order parts / and now billing so these small jobs have to take a back seat. 
Quote 0 0
the_wolf_of_tech_sales
Just to add, I believe that's why most companies split up the responsibilities between 'Enterprise' sales reps and 'SMB' (small & medium biz) reps. It just doesn't make a whole lot of sense for you to spend time on small accounts if you have big juicy ones calling your name. But, if possible, you don't want to completely lose those SMB customers either.

Hope this is helpful. I think you are wise to capitalize on the big accounts. It also sounds like you already wear many hats. May be worth adding personnel to your team.
Quote 0 0
Norcal707
Thanks Wolf.  Always great to hear from you and get your input. It's conflicting and perhaps I did not elaborate more on my initial post.  But I have a service background so providing for the customer and making sure they are happy is one of my main goals (other than big sales).  However, most of the issues I bring up are swept under the rug so to speak.

For example, I'll close a deal and then set an installation date.  Then prior to that date something happens very short notice and I'm forced to reschedule with the customer. No biggie, however, this happens so often that I cannot provide an installation date or answer a majority of the questions to the customer since I have to wait from management. This will happen over and over again for the same account that I've already rescheduled.

I closed deal about 2 weeks ago and I still don't have confirmation for my team to install. 

So what I'm forced to do is become more of a cuttthroat salesman in a way.  It's a hard pill to swallow but I cannot focus on small accounts and customer relations when I have little support on the back end.
Quote 0 0
Mike Cartwright
This is a very thought engaging topic. I think you did right by going for that change, based on the things you shared. It just makes sense that you opt to focus on the bigger deals. I agree with Wolf, this is one of the reasons enterprise and SMB are separated. I hope everything works out for you, wishing you all the best.
Quote 0 0