WeekendWarrior
I'm hoping to collect a variety of stories/outcomes of not properly qualifying sales opportunities to share with and "hammer home" the importance of qualification with my new sales reps. Basically provide them with a few "what not to do" examples. They can be high level examples, but I'd like to hear some real world outcomes if possible. Thanks for your help [biggrin]
Quote 0 0

MikeK
One time my colleague had a multi million dollar opportunity that came in with an urgent timeline. Multiple groups were pulled in to collaborate and get everything done in time so a proposal could be made. Many man hours were put in over the weekend and late into the night hoping to win this opportunity. Ultimately it was discovered that the customer needed a 64 bit version which was something that we did not offer and could not put together in time. Opportunity lost. 
Quote 0 0
5G
One time we flew this guy out for a visit and it turned out to be a complete waste of time. Not a good fit for our product and the customer definitely did not have enough money to purchase our tools.
Quote 0 0
jchacona
Couple common stories:
1. Speaking to someone who is not a decision maker - when it comes down to the PO, the price could was not justified because the mgr didn't get buy in early.
2. Sent customer a "cost effective" solution configuration that actually didn't solve half of their problem. Customer was so married to the initial solution, we could not get them to expand the system. They ended up walking away.
3. Customer purchased a POC system, but the timeline was not established. Took them so long to build the first system, they missed their deadline and walked away. Lesson learned: understand their timeline and their capability of meeting it. 
Quote 0 0
WeekendWarrior
Thank you for your responses!
Quote 0 0
Norcal707
Make sure you have everything correct in the proposal before you send it out.  One time I forgot an item in my proposal that was roughly $1900 then the customer decided to change their plans in one of the buildings.  They still went with my original proposal but once they didn't want my service in the other building they asked why am I being charged nearly the same?  Then I had to explain to them that I made a mistake in the pricing.  From there they decided to not go with my service in a few other buildings as well and they questioned my price breakdown for the other locations.  All in all I ended up losing roughly 15k on that deal.  Rookie mistake and a lesson learned the hard way but make sure everything is correct and double check before sending out proposals that are not completely 100% ready and accurate.

Quote 0 0