Norcal707

I didn't want to push it but when I departed a few hours later I sent an email out to the Director and CBO asking if they've made a decision about the cameras. The Director which has been my main contact said right now we're gonna hold off on the cameras.

So this dude robbed me of 20k basically. I'm fairly new to sales and this is my first school district agreement. I don't want to come off as too pushy but I'm trying to plan a methodical approach in convincing them to move forward with the camera project. I plan on sending out the contract for signing tomorrow or on Monday but I'd like to include the cameras and everything else all in one document.

The CBO and everyone else loved the presentation and reminded me several times. They were willing to go all in just what I planned in my advance prior to this meeting. However I need some recommendations on how to approach this hurdle and overcome this objection which they verbally agreed to earlier. I'm afraid if I wait I'll never get the camera contract for several different reasons...

My ideas were:
1. Prior to sending out the agreement call the CBO and remind her of how we all agreed on the cameras and offer her an extended warranty or some type of incentive. Then close the deal over the phone with included camera contract.

2. Get the IT techs information and let him talk with my IT director so they can work it. My IT director owns the business and also is very solid in communication and has convincing sales techniques.

3, Give then what they wanted. Start with the alarm system and keyless entry then once we get everything installed during thanksgiving break. Then offer a holiday special and close the camera deal over Christmas break.

All of which I believe are successful if approached in the correct way. Would like to hear from anyone who's been in a similar situation or from an experienced sales manager on advance here.
Quote 0 0

thesalesengineer
Hey Fidd707

Does the IT guy sell cameras on the side and is he attempting to sabotage your deal to sell them himself? [crazy] Just joking. 

I think it's important to remember that you will still be doing business with these folks for the alarm and keyless entry, so you want to maintain the relationship. I would not suggest sending the contract with the cameras included until you discuss things further with them. Otherwise they may feel that you are trying to force them to purchase without understanding why, especially since they already stated once that they didn't want the cameras at this time.

I think a fair question to ask the Director is, "Help me understand why you do not want to purchase the cameras?". Then let him talk, and listen. You could follow that by relating the cameras to whatever value they were initially looking for with this upgrade ie. these cameras will give you these benefits (notice I'm not saying technical specs, I'm saying the benefits that the school board will actually feel because of this new camera system, like a safer campus).

If the Director's answer is "we are worried they won't technically fit with the existing system" you can assure him that you have his best interest in mind and can bring on additional resources (your boss) to confirm the compatibility before spending any money. Then again, I would relate the value of having the cameras to the overall goal of what the school board is trying to accomplish with this entire system upgrade.

In short, the better you understand the real goals and needs of the school board, the better you can customize a message that will resonate with them. I hope this helps some.

Quote 0 0
the_wolf_of_tech_sales
Hey Fidd707 what did you decide to do?
Quote 0 0
the_wolf_of_tech_sales
Congrats on closing the alarm and keyless entry! (especially since it was already more [biggrin]) A whole lot of selling revolves around relationships so I'm sure if they have a good experience with you, they will be eager to do the cameras in the future. [thumb]
Quote 0 0
Norcal707
Yes that's the plan.
Quote 0 0