Norcal707
Hey guys,

Fairly new to sales but have had recent success in the last upcoming months and everything is coming along great.  There have been a few scenarios where I'd like some professional advice moving forward and this is one scenario I've ran into a few different times.

So we're moving along the sales process and advancing then I get the customer to say YES.  Great just what I wanted right?  They say YES but first I need to....... or YES and then........

What's happening is they are stalling the process and preventing me from moving forward with sending them the agreement.  I've had this happen with one guy in particular where he wanted the contract sent it to him and he's been MIA.  Another customer said YES but then next time we talk it's like we are going backwards and they have concerns and aren't sold on the idea 100%

What tactics and strategies do you use to get the ball rolling once a customer says YES but...... Typically I like to send the contract and then get them locked in.  I know this might be a rookie question but I have some large accounts where the customers agree and then we go backwards and they have concerns that delay the process.

What's frustrating to me is it seems like right as we are about to get the contract rolling they are hesitant.  I can feel as if they are on the fence.  Any tips, advice, or sales stories would be very helpful.  Thanks! 
Quote 0 0

datatron
I've had several times where I have sent a quote or proposal and don't hear back from the customer. Often it is because all they are interested in is your price, and you haven't had a chance to really SELL to them! I've learned to withhold the pricing for as long as possible until you've had a chance to really sell them on the reason they should buy from you.
"If you can’t explain it simply, you don’t understand it well enough."
Albert Einstein, Physicist
Quote 0 0
salesdev_RJ
Hey Norcal707 & datatron [wave]

Something I have used in my sales development rep role is to get them to agree to the information they need to see to be able to make a decision. For example, before I give a software demo I will ask "If I go over X, Y, and Z during this demo, will you have everything you need to make a decision on moving forward with the software?" 

If they reply yes, then at the end of the demo, if they are hesitant, I remind them that we went over X, Y, and Z and that it was exactly what they wanted to see. It reminds them what we covered and gets things moving forward.

If they reply no, then I'll get them to clarify exactly what they need to see during the demo to be able to make a decision. Then at the end of the demo, I'll review that we covered the topics, and get them to agree. 

Let's say the demo goes well and they agree to purchase but then they fall off the map and I don't hear from them. I will follow up with something like, "Hi Customer, in our demo we discussed that if you saw X, Y, Z you would have enough information to make a decision. I haven't heard back from you. Was there something else you needed to see to decide on the software?" or something to that effect. 
Quote 0 0
jamiesco
I'm running into the same thing Norcal.
Quote 0 0
Mike Cartwright
Hey, guys! My strategy is actually very similar to what sales_dev recommended. Make it clear at the beginning that if the presentation goes well and all concerns are addressed, that we'll move forward with the deal. That's also why I have a template of the contract/agreement available so that we can just edit details along as we go through the presentation. It's a way for me to really secure that I get a clear answer from them right there.
Quote 0 0